Club history

D&C Athletic Football Club was formed in October 1997 after two groups of people who attended a Stockport County Supporters Club (The High Peak Hatters) merged to create one football team. Prior to the merge, the two groups from Disley and Chapel-En-Le-Frith played regular friendly matches against each other with the boys from Chapel always having the upper hand. These matches became quite predictable so it was decided that the two sides would join a competitive League in a joint venture.

Andrew Barlow and Richard Nadin were given the roles of Secretary and Treasurer as a committee was formed, with Paul Linskey (landlord of The Albert pub in Disley) taking the role of Chairman as we applied for a place in the local Sunday Leagues (East Cheshire Sunday Football League and the Stockport & District Sunday Football League). The newly formed club was accepted into the East Cheshire Sunday Football League in time for the start of the 1997/98 season and in our maiden season we finished in a respectable 7th position in the Third Division under the leadership of manager Steve Cowell.

The East Cheshire Sunday Football League merged into two Divisions the following season and that move signalled the start of our decline as we finished the next two seasons on the bottom of the table. It was simply a case of having to run before we could walk and our results and subsequent League positions backed this up.

The club left the East Cheshire Sunday Football League at the end of the 2001/02 season as it was in danger of folding and our next move saw us join the Stockport & Cheadle League following another un-successful attempt to gain entry into the Stockport & District Sunday Football League. The side enjoyed relative success in its first season in their new surroundings, as they finished in 8th place in Division Three. The following season was a struggle as we finished bottom of the table and the club lacked leadership as it was without a manager for the first time since it was formed following the departure of Steve Cowell.

With many players coming from Poynton, Disley and Stockport it was decided in the summer of 2004 that the club would apply to re-enter the East Cheshire Sunday Football League in time for the start of the 2004/05 season. The clubs application was accepted and this has been our footballing home ever since!

Our first two seasons back in the East Cheshire Sunday Football League saw us struggle to get a regular XI week in week out, and our League placings were evidence of this as we finished bottom of the table in 2005/06 and 2006/07. In the 2007/08 season we achieved our highest ever place in the East Cheshire Sunday Football League as we finished in 6th place in Division Two after accumulating 25 points.

Following the loss of a large chunk of the squad that had done so well the previous season, the 2008/09 season was all about being in transition as the new and old players took a while to gel. Signs towards the end of the season suggested that things were on the up for the club.

In the 2009/10 season the players created a piece of history after the side won their first ever piece of silverware after winning the Division Two Cup following a final victory over Rileys FC at Poynton Sports Club. Tom Owen, Martyn Barlow and George Wheeler scored the goals on Sunday 4th May 2010 to ensure that captain Dean Couling and manager Andrew Barlow got their hands on the first ever trophy for the club.

In April 2011 Martyn Barlow took over the role of manager of the team